Tuesday, September 25, 2007

VIVISECTION: machinaKafe: disassembly phase two

Disassembly Phase Two of machinaKafe looks at the striped object and begins to explore more intimately the process by which it operates and how I can affect its “set” process.

Similar to the beginning of the project, a steam test is performed, but this time with the ability to “see” and “incorporate” myself in the mechanics’ choreography. My new intimacy with the process also leads me to wonder more about the spectacle of the technology (the noise of the steam, the pulse of the water pressure, my hand releasing steam pressure). I am especially interested in the steam and water elements of the machine.

The large heating element and connecting steam wand, and water dispenser with the element for holding the portafilter form the guts of the machine. The main body, the tank becomes very hot when activated. And similar to the complete machine resting on four silicon tabs, the heating element straddles above the floor by resting on four of its own silicon tabs installed in the plastic body part (as shown in the photos).













No comments: