Friday, October 26, 2007

BEAST: solder and stitch and ponder

Yesterday I got down to some soldiering. The kettle pot I am using has a relatively heavy gauge, so your average 40 watt soldiering gun does nothing to heat the pot anywhere near the temperature for fusing copper with plumber's soldier; I need a propane tank and some high temperature to melt this puppy!



A couple of images of the different components I am using in the steam want. Firstly, the steam wand is connected to the lid of the pot. I have incorporated a valve into the first section of the steam want coming out of the pot lid, to help control and vary the pressure when I need to test the machine. I am using a 1/4" I.D. copper tube to channel the steam. The tube then forks, and shrinks in diameter, to a 1/8" I.D. At the ends, I will place two existing espresso steam wand tips. Having the two different steam wands will also give me the option to play around with ways I can have the steam exit into the air.





I have also been working on the water reservoir component of the beast. The large nylon "belly" rain collector joins into the water tank with snap tape. I glue, then sew the snap tape ribbons on each piece.




p.s. Trouble shooting solved! Earlier I was having trouble with the motion sensor hooked up to the kettle element; the timer was not running as to the time specification I set. It turned out to be a problem related to the kettle element and not the sensor. All the while I was running my tests, I never had the pot filled with water. Once the element was submerged in water, it not longer overheated to quickly thus setting off a the safety switch. Back to the sensor - I need to install a 120V relay to the sensor/kettle element circuit. The sensor is overheating from the high voltage. It normally serves up two light bulbs...this is a wee bit more power than that. tschuss!

2 comments:

Rosanna Ho said...

hey greg, i love your keeping up with your BEAST! reminds me of Tim Hawkinson's exhibition i saw at the Whitney (unless you don't like that reference)

Unknown said...

hey greg, i love keeping up with your . . . interesting errors of history and lexicon. do you mean soldiering, or soldering?

hey greg, if you mean soldiering, can you tell me what a soldiering iron is?

actually, give me a call. i'm going to be in the swimming poole.

1ovE